Alternative flash content

Requirements

927 CE

  • Prince Wenceslas of Bohemia founds the church of St Lawrence

 

12th century

  • archeologically-confirmed erection of the rotunda of St Lawrence

1232

  • probable date that the Knights Templars established themselves next to St Lawrence’s church

 

1312 – 1313

  • after abolition of the Order of the Knights Templar, the church and the surrounding courtyard is purchased by the Order of St John, which sold it the following year to the Dominican nuns of St Anne’s Convent at Újezd

 

1313

  • the Templar church is demolished and the building of a new Gothic church commenced

 

1372

  • first wall paintings in the chancel (particularly the Lamentation of Christ, The Seven Sacraments, The Adoration of the Magi) – which are unique works by the Master of the Třeboň Altar

  • when completed, the convent church dedicated to St Anne was one of the most outstanding examples of mendicant architecture in the Old Town of Prague

 

First half of 15th century

  • St Anne’s Church is the only Prague church to have been unaffected by the Hussite Wars; it is left bankrupt by them, however.

 

1553

  • 1553 the chronicler Václav Hájek of Libočany is interred in the convent, where he spent the last years of his life

 

1616

  • the church is repaired with the assistance of Queen Anne, the wife of King Matthias

 

1676

  • a new nuns’ gallery is built

 

1727

  • the stucco decoration of the interior is completed

 

1782

  • during the reign of Joseph II the convent church is closed, deconsecrated and sold for 19 thousand guilders

 

 

1795

  • the building is acquired by the court printer Johann Ferdinand von Schönfeld, who sets up a printing works here in 1816

 

1880 – 1884

  • the three upper storeys of the tower are demolished along with the Gothic vaulting

 

1956 – 1957

  • archaeological survey of the entire eastern part of the church

 

1970s onwards

  • occasional repairs carried out to the external walls and the roofs

 

1992 – 1993

  • reconstruction of the central wing for the ballet company of the National Theatre

 

1997

  • the Dagmar and Václav Havel Foundation VIZE 97 is established and one of its main projects is “reconstruction of St Anne’s Church”

  • the Foundation acquires a 99 year lease of the church from the National Theatre for the symbolic rent of 1 crown

1998 – 2004

  • reconstruction of the church in three phases according to plans by the architect Eva Jiřičná

  • a drawing by Adriena Šimotová ”Ecstatic Figure” is installed as an “altar picture”

2004

  • the Prague Crossroads inaugurates its activity on 5 October, on the occasion of the formal presentation of the Dagmar and Václav Havel Foundation VIZE 97 Prize to Professor Petr Vopěnka

News

ONE WORLD will give the Homo Homini Awar…

02. 03. 2017

Once again, the Prague Crossroads will officially open the 19th year of the International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival ONE...

More

INSPIRELI AWARDS – Bořek Šípek’s legacy

06. 02. 2017

The official ceremony of the second year of the architectural competition INSPIRELI AWARDS, which supports young talented architects and designers...

More

Roma Spirit 2016

08. 12. 2016

The sixth year of the Roma Spirit awards ceremony will be held at the Prague Crossroads on Saturday, 10 December...

More

The Prague Crossroads will once again ho…

15. 11. 2016

In the afternoon on 5 December 2016, the Prague Crossroads will open the door for the 12th time to all...

More

Exhibition of photos by Alan Pajer and a…

21. 10. 2016

Dagmar Havlová and the VIZE 97 Foundation plan, in association with Alan Pajer, one of the President’s Office photographers, an...

More

Opening of Forum 2000

13. 10. 2016

On Sunday 16 October will begin the 20th annual Forum 2000 Conference, with the opening ceremony to take place at...

More